Sunday, December 31, 2017

It's a Christmas Cop Out

Although I was pissed,
the acting was great.

'SUP, NERDS?!



I've finally gotten around to watching It's a Wonderful Life, which is revered as one of the best Christmas movies of all time. It plays on television around this time of year and I've never given it much attention because it was always just there.

On Christmas Eve I was alone and figured it would be a fun night to see it on the big screen. The film really engrossed me until the 3rd act when the angel intervened during George Bailey's suicide attempt. I left the theatre upset because the entire tone of the film turned too quickly. I think the ending is a bit of a cop out.

The 3rd Act Didn't Fit


I would classify It's a Wonderful Life as both a comedy and drama. The drama stems from George's desires and failure to follow through with his plans and the comedy mostly from everyone around him. It's fair to expect both cheer and bitter-sweetness in a Christmas movie, but there wasn't a good transition from a realistic drama to super naturalism.



The moment Clarence the angel is introduced, I felt the entire film cheapened. Minutes prior, I was crying as I felt George's dread to suddenly cocking my head.in confusion as Frank Capra pulled the emergency breaks on a deeply meaningful moment for our disturbed, suicide-driven protagonist. I almost wished we got to see George die and perhaps have a conversation with himself or God to help transition to the super natural element of the film.

Forced Values


George sacrificed everything that would have made him happy to support those around him, which in turn paid off during his darkest moment. I both agree and disagree with the values of this film, but it is overall too chipper for my tastes.

There is literally nothing wrong with marrying and having a family. However, I think George was never meant to be a family man. He resisted Mary as a child, both after high school and college graduation and even on the day of their wedding! What Mary likes that he is a good man, but I don't think his heart was ever fully in the relationship. Also, did George only agree to have children to make Mary happy??

Is George really a family man??


George consistently expresses his desire to travel and forget about Bedford Falls. He only wants experience just a small bit of freedom but never allowed himself to actually pursue his dreams. The ending of It's a Wonderful Life upset me because I see it as an acceptance of mediocrity. It only indicates that George will forever be stuck in his town, running Building & Loan until he dies. I don't think that's what he truly wants... but as a people-pleaser, he's going to let everyone boss him around until his end.




Although I disagree with how family and community values are presented in this film, I do wholeheartedly agree with Clarence's note he leaves George: "Remember no man is a failure who has friends." George is socially wealthy by having so many people around him, who have his back. His life didn't turn out the way he ever wanted, but at least he has an entire community behind him.

No Consequences, No Rewards

Who can lose $8000 in the 1940s, let alone today????

I think the ending of It's a Wonderful Life would drastically improve if someone learned a lesson as for there are no consequences or rewards. George is the only person rewarded with friendship, but Uncle Billy and Potter, the culprits of completely screwing George, don't have any solid conclusion.



Although Uncle Billy is a forgetful, but well-intentioned character, he is never reprimanded or demerited for his constant mishaps at Building & Loan. Good-guy George blames himself and doesn't follow up with Billy's dumb-assery.

As George's enemy, Mr. Potter nearly manages to sabotage George's entire life, but there is nothing to prove he is going to stop his dastardly activities. Do the police investigate and crack down on Potter stealing George's cash? Does he continue to own the town? Potter doesn't receive any sort of punishment or any acknowledgement at the end of the film, which is quite a let down. No retribution.


Bedford Falls will become a Pottersville with the ending we got.


In my opinion, the best ending would result in Potter being taught the values of the community in a way he is able to open his heart. This in addition to the townsfolk giving George and his family enough money to pay the bank and enough to send them off on a vacation. George needs a break from his work and really deserves to travel for once...


Signing Out for the New Year,


Alrighty, peeps. I hope you all had a good 2017. Please have a wonderful 2018. More blogs will be coming your way, always soliciting my ridiculous opinions.

My final question to you... what is the BEST Christmas movie? I'd say it's Die Hard, but what do I know? I didn't like It's a Wonderful Life with it's cheesy ending.


LATER, DWEEBS!


Loverly Liz

No comments:

Post a Comment